Friday, May 6, 2011

Track 2 - The Great Idea

Welcome to the world of a traveling seminar sales guy. Every week I fly out from home to some magical location like Forrest City, AR or Beaver Dam, WI. Places that I have to battle the Travel Channel for first dibs. I will admit, it is a unique experience I have to visit so many places off the beaten path. The draw back is, I don't get a lot of time to go out and site see. Most of my time is spent inside hotel ballrooms or conference center banquet rooms. Days are filled analyzing who was to blame for the gaudy chandeliers and why no matter when the room was renovated that they all have similarly loathsome 70's era carpet. Just because you use mirrors and gold trim, it doesn't make it any classier. But enough about the interior decorating. Back to the important stuff, the great idea!

This week found me deplaning in Sacramento, CA with my regular band of misfits. Bob would be the speaker and Tommy the manager. I would play my regular part as sales staffer or, in other words, do boy. As Tommy and I made our way across town, we stumbled upon a taco hut. The place looked like certain food poisoning. We had to try it. Just as expected the flavor and value were amazing. As we enjoyed our combination of street tacos, burritos, and horchata, we decided that was all we were going to have the whole time we were in California. Breakfast, lunch and dinner would be enjoyed at a shady dive mexican taco stand. The further from a health inspector the better.

I decided to document our visits. Just so you know, it's late friday afternoon and we have stayed true to our commitment and enjoyed 11 straight meals from taco carts. You may be asking, 11 doesn't seem like enough? Well, neither of us like the mornings very much and I have a talent for sleeping, so we only had breakfast one day and we dined on a breakfast burrito (establishment not pictured... sorry). Here goes:



Sunday dinner: Chando's Tacos. Sacramento, CA. This is the place where the great idea was created.

Monday lunch: (no pic) La Rosa Blanca. Sacramento, CA


Monday dinner: La Garnacha, Sacramento, CA. We were told this is in a rough part of Sac-town where gang shootings happened. We said, "Perfect. Show us the way!"


Tuesday lunch: Mi Jalisco. Sacramento, CA. Best horchata of the week!


Tuesday Dinner: Tacos El Sabroso. Sacramento, CA. Hands down the most delicious tacos and burritos of the week. It's off Madison.

Wednesday lunch: Tacos Los Tres Hermanos.


Wednesday Dinner: Carolina's. Sacramento, CA.


Thursday lunch: Rosario's Tacos. Merced, CA.


Thursday Dinner: This place. We weren't sure it's name because the sign was busted and torn down. Just that fact alone made it perfect for our hunt. Merced, CA. Try the pupusas here.

Friday lunch: Taco Grullo. Stockton, CA. Not great. I'd recommend looking for a different taco truck.

I have two more meals in California, Friday dinner and Saturday lunch. I am going to call this a wrap on the track but don't worry, we'll find two more stands. I am not sure I'll wake up in the morning. I can feel my arteries hardening and my intestines loosening as I type but it is an experience that I would suggest everyone try at least once in there lifetime. If you have a taco cart that I have to try, let me know. Until next time. Peace up, A-town down.

2 comments:

  1. "I can feel my arteries hardening and my intestines loosening"

    Ew

    I agree though, the dirtier and gross a place is, the better the food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you had taken pictures of your belly at each taco stand so we could've seen it grow day by day. Especially after the 6-pound burrito... I think you're a little too baby hungry. Food babies are NOT the same as real babies ;)

    ReplyDelete