Saturday, April 21, 2012

Track 13 - Skymiles and Hotel Points


The travelling professional is a special breed of person.  To the average person, the idea of jumping on an airplane and bolting off to a new place each week sounds exciting.  I always hear from people, “I wish I could travel as much as you do.”  I realized a long time ago that I couldn’t work a job that doesn’t have perks of some sort.  I worked in the NBA and it was full of perks.  I sacrificed a high income for a high fun level.  I travelled, received free tanning, hair cuts, food, club passes and spent most days deciding if a monster tricycle or new multi-shot t-shirt cannon was a better expenditure.  After being laid off by the Nuggets and getting passed over by the Nuggets, Dodgers, and Jazz for Game Entertainment Director positions due to what I deemed political missteps, I decided I needed to go a different direction.  The opportunity fell into my lap to pack up the roller and head out on the road. 

I was hired by a seminar company as a sales rep selling e-commerce websites and it started off well.  Three months into it, the new president laid off the whole sales staff.  Layoff number 2!  It’s old hat now.  But I had been bitten.  I liked the travel.  I liked the travel benefits.  I liked people asking me to where I was off to.  I was determined to get hired by a new seminar company I had heard about selling real estate investment training.  Good fortune smiled upon me and two months later I was back at the airport with a new roller bag and a boarding pass to a new location. 



The road has granted opportunities I probably never would have had if I had not become a business traveler.  In fact, I am writing this from my first class seat 35,000 feet up on my way to Denver.  I recently took a 12 day trip to Thailand.  My flight was free.  My hotels were free.  I spent less than $700 dollars total for an exotic trip to Asia.  Skymiles and hotel points now come in droves.  I spend my spare time researching tropical locations I am going to visit on my weeks off.  With my paycheck and travel rewards I can pretty much go anywhere anytime I please.  But, everything comes with a price.

I have sold my social life for perks.  I have lost multiple dating relationships because for some reason women actually want to see their boyfriend.  Strange!  It has been hard on me.  If you have read previous tracks, you know that I actively looking for my “it girl.”  It is going to be a challenge.  I am home about 4 days a month.  If and when I do have a family, will I be ok missing so many milestones in their life due to my travel schedule?  I’m not sure.  I have also been shopping for a house, which has been tricky in it self.  I find a listing I am interested in and by the time I get a chance to see the property, they are already under contract.  Finally, I had to send Bella to live with her grandma and grandpa and I miss that little girl. 

Why am I complaining?  I have no idea.  I get a kick out of being somewhere different each week.  I don’t have a desk I am chained to and I get to check out random locations.  If that isn’t enough, add the frequent traveler benefits and perks that go along with it.  I’m probably way over paid for what I actually contribute to society.  I also don’t have to pay $4/gal gas and along with that I haven’t had a speeding ticket in over a year and half, a new record I believe.  So, for now, I am going to keep rockin’ the priority lines and laughing at the casual travelers as the fumble around the airports as I head to my next destination and leave normalcy along with liquids over 3 oz. at the security check. 

1 comment:

  1. You might want to mention that Bella is a dog because some single ladies reading this may think you already have a daughter. Plus, you forgot to write that this job allowed you to meet Lindy when she was only four days old!

    ReplyDelete